Wednesday, August 22, 2007

CHILE, Santiago, Wednesday 22nd August

So goodbye Australia and Buenos Dias LAN Air. Well, eventually. I was delayed for 3 hours. Between avoiding the advances of a persistent Philippino Film maker I found myself a quite corner and began to ponder on past and future adventures. 6 months into my travels, eek! That is worth pause for reflection I think...

Ok so camel riding in the Rajasthan desert, the Taj Mahal, I've been painted bright pink with 'playing Holi', stayed with Burmese hill tribes in the north of Thailand, boated, floated and swam down the Mekong, taught Cambodian children who to read 'The Flopsy Bunnies', sped around the highlands of Vietnam on the back of a honda and drunk rice wine with a village chief, I've danced the sun up on a beach covered in glow paint, seen an opera at the Sydney Opera House, chased a dingo (kinda) and cuddled a koala... It is really hard to imagine how I can top all that.

Well, finally we took off and landed a few hour later in Auckland where I wandered around inspecting numerous sheep-themed merchandise before re-boarding the plane for my longest flight yet. As if to set the scene my neighbour introduced himself and announced that he was a part of a dancing troupe touring the world performing, you've guessed it, the Argentinean Tango. Very appropriate. I was bourne into Santiago discussing Tango lessons in Buenos Aires and writer Gabriel Garcia Marquez. The scene for my South American adventure has been rather well set...

Once we landed, bemused and travel weary, we were bustled about taken to cash points and sorted into minivans where a cheerful driver handed out sweets and drove us to through the industrial clutter of the outer burbs, river lined with piles of rubbish, snow capped mountains appearing faintly through the smog on either side, into Santiago. We passed through narrow cobbled streets lined with Spanish colonial mansions, pizzas with parks and playgrounds and I began to feel that I was very much back in Europe. Much closer to home, in one way and in another even further removed. I find myself in a country where English is not the language of choice and I am a little uncertain of how and where to start. Having said that, when sitting in a little cafe drinking cafe con leche served to me by a moustached and smiling waiter, bouncy latino pop music thumping in the background I can't help feeling pleased to be here. So far, me gustsa.

No comments: